Girls Rock! Chicago values each and every one of our volunteers. We recognize that many of our volunteers take unpaid time off from work to spend their week at camp, and that many others simply can’t afford to make that sacrifice. In an effort to welcome and support more people who want to volunteer but can’t afford to miss hours of work, we are offering financial aid to volunteers.
We are able to offer a limited number of stipends of up to $150 per person per camp week. This can also include Ventra passes for getting to and from camp throughout the week. We will carefully consider each application on a case-by-case basis and award financial aid as generously and fairly as we possibly can.
Girls Rock! Chicago is committed to uplifting people and communities who have been historically marginalized and silenced. As a conscious effort to welcome and elevate people of color in our volunteer base, we are reserving fifteen full awards for volunteers of color only. We believe that our volunteer mentor demographics should reflect our camper demographics.
ROCK CAMP CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT GEAR and with over 30 guitars, 20 basses, 20 drum kits, 8 keyboards, and 4 turntables (not to mention back-ups kept on hand in case anything breaks/shorts out), this is no small task.
On Saturday, July 15th, the above-mentioned gear must migrate from our storage space (East Bank Storage: 429 W. Ohio) to our host school (Suder Montessori: 2022 W. Washington Blvd.). We have the enormous truck, so now all we need are roughly 25 sets of helping hands. We’ll also need help setting up the gear in classrooms on Sunday, July 16th! Special shout out to any camper dads/cis-male supporters who’ve been wanting to get involved but are unable to participate within the camp setting: this is the perfect opportunity for YOU! Each shift will require a minimum of 15 volunteers:
DAY ONE – SATURDAY, JULY 15TH SHIFT 1: 8am – 11:30am | East Bank Storage |429 W. Ohio | Chicago IL SHIFT 2: 12pm – 6pm | Suder Montessori | 2022 W. Washington Blvd. | Chicago IL
DAY TWO – SUNDAY, JULY 16TH SHIFT 3: 9am – 12pm | Suder Montessori | 2022 W. Washington Blvd. | Chicago IL SHIFT 4: 12pm – 6pm | Suder Montessori | 2022 W. Washington Blvd. | Chicago IL
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT! LET’S TACKLE LOAD IN TOGETHER!
Teen Volunteers at Girls Rock! Chicago
Girls Rock! Chicago is pleased to announce a new opportunity for teen campers ages 14 – 16: Our Teen Volunteer Program! Current and former campers between the ages of 14 and 16 can now apply to volunteer during one camp week. We will select up to three volunteers each session.
Teen volunteers will develop leadership skills by modeling supportive and empowering behavior, building a positive camp climate, and supporting technical needs at camp. Teen volunteers work closely with the Gear Coordinator.
Through this program, teen volunteers will gain experience in:
– Building a positive camp environment and culture
– Modeling supportive and encouraging behavior
– Gear/supply coordination for a group of over 70 campers
– Professional interpersonal communication
– Working as part of a team to complete a collective goal
– Musical and technical vocabulary
– Safe and appropriate use of musical equipment
Staff and volunteer capacity permitting, teen volunteers may choose as a group to collaboratively write a song during band practice each weekday and perform it at the showcase at the end of their session. *Please note that teen volunteers will not be able to receive any instrument instruction during their volunteer tenure.
TEEN VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES
– Assist the Gear Coordinator as directed
– Move and set up drum kits after instrument instruction
– Move and set up drum kits after band practice
– Keep the gear room tidy and organized
– Check on instructors and coaches to see if they have any gear needs
– Bring requested gear to practice and instruction rooms
– Act as role models for younger camps
– Contribute to the positive and supportive camp environment
– Assist with other tasks as assigned
Teen volunteers will not:
– Lead instrument instruction
– Lead band practice
– Supervise campers
– Be left without an adult chaperone
TEEN VOLUNTEER DAILY SCHEDULE
Teen Volunteers must commit to one entire camp week, including volunteer orientation, load in, the full camp week, and either the showcase or recording session.
– Complete the Girls Rock! Chicago Volunteer Application (You can select the role “Junior Counselor” and then add in the comments you’re applying as a Teen Volunteer!)
– Submit a letter of reference outlining your strengths and explaining why you’d be a good fit for the program. References can come from any non-family adult or peer, such as a mentor, teacher, counselor, or employer.
Applications are due Friday, June 30th. Applications will be reviewed by the Girls Rock! Chicago staff, and acceptance notifications will be sent on Wednesday, July 5th.
Please note that the Teen Volunteer Program is not first come, first served. Staff will make the final selection based on the following criteria:
– Ability to collaborate and work on a team
– Enthusiasm for the proposed work
– Articulate understanding of the Girls Rock! Chicago mission
– Demonstrated maturity and responsibility
Accepted volunteers must then attend a volunteer information session with staff, review the volunteer manual, and attend a mandatory volunteer orientation.
Questions? Contact email@example.com to learn more!
Now Recruiting: Printmaker for Camp Posters
Girls Rock! Chicago is now recruiting a printmaker for our 2017 camp posters! We’re looking for an artist to design and print 150 posters per session for our End-of-Camp Extravaganzas. We offer these as keepsakes for our campers, and we also sell the extras as part of our fundraising efforts.
GR!C needs two sets of posters and can offer $400 per run ($800 total) including supplies, labor, and CD art (front and back). Our needs are as follows:
150 posters for Session 1 – $400
150 posters for Session 2 – $400
As you may know, we are a 501c3 nonprofit and have a limited budget. Any costs accrued over our above offer can be considered a tax-deductible donation!
All Posters MUST Say:
Girls Rock! Chicago
Other Required Text:
Girls Rock! Chicago’s End-of-Camp Extravaganza
Sunday, July 23rd
at Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St.
Girls Rock! Chicago’s End-of-camp Extravaganza
Sunday, August 13th
at Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St.
Girls Rock! Chicago Design Guidelines
1. Please don’t use bodies or human forms in your piece. Because we tend to get a lot of designs with “girl” bodies included in them, we try to stay away from that just because it’s hard to represent the entire GR!C community with a couple of people on a poster.
2. No electronically printed posters. Our preference is that posters are screenprinted, but any type of printmaking will be considered.
3. Please make poster in between 11×17” and 18”x24”. Posters must be a standard print size (people like framing them!).
4. Please use thick poster paper (no newsprint!) We tend to use the French Paper – book type. Anything comparable to that is fine!
Please contact Jess LeMaster at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.